October 29, 2005

All you need is science

I really ought to read more, I used to be such a bookworm. I've practically grown up in a library, but lately I can barely make it through one novel every two months (this from someone who used to go through a novel a week).

Currently reading Bill Bryson's excellent A brief history of nearly everything. It tracks the progress of science in really really simple terms for simpletons like me. I used to be of the firm belief that science contributed nothing but exam stress and nerds to society. However, this wonderful book taught me that science created everything! That science - as misunderstood as it is by the people who practice it - is the key to everything! Science is the path to enlightenment, science is what makes the world go round..... wait...I think that was love. But I'm sure love is science and science is a pretty little flower in a field of irrational weeds.

Science is nice and happy and fluffy, and apparently (as it is claimed by the people who think their lives are justified by it) nothing like the monstrous ideology I used to think it was.

But still, all this talk of atoms and expanding universes sounds like witchcraft to me. You only have to read about Stephen Hawking's 11 dimensions crap to think that the world had gone and made itself all dark-ages again.

Ehh, I could barely get my head around the world when it was still three-dimensional.

Everything's so complicated now. I miss the good old days when everything was flat and atoms didn't exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home